An indulgent cookie crust with melted white chocolate, a creamy pistachio filling, topped with fresh strawberries and chopped pistachios.
14 tbsp softened unsalted butter
¾ cup confectioner’s sugar
Pinch of salt
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups all purpose flour
8 or 9 inch tart pan
6 oz. high quality white chocolate, melted
2/3 cup Pistachios
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
Green food coloring, optional
½ cup granulated sugar
4 large egg yolks
4 ½ tbsp. cornstarch
¼ tsp. Cook’s Pure Almond extract
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 pint strawberries, slice ¼ inch thick
Juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp. Cook’s Pure Strawberry extract
1 tbsp. pistachios, coarsely chopped
1. In an electric mixer, cream butter and add in sugar. Cram until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add in the eggs and beat until completely combined and the mixture is light, fluffy and pale yellow in color, about 7 minutes.
3. Add the lemon zest and vanilla extract, scrape down the bowl and beat until mixture is homogeneous.
4. Turn off the mixture, add the flour to the bowl and then mix on lowest setting until flour is just combined. Do not over-mix the flour or the crust will be tough and hard.
5. Wrap the crust in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out to a 10 inch disc about ¼ of an inch thick. Carefully transfer to a tart pan.
8. Blind bake the crust with a pie weight for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool.
9. Using a spatula, gently cover the crust with a thin layer of melted white chocolate.
1. Combine pistachios and sugar into a food processor and pulse until nuts and sugar are complexly mixed and resemble the texture of fine sand. Add the vegetable oil and continue to process until a paste is formed. Add two drops green food coloring, if desired, and process until the mixture is a pale and brownish green.
2. Heat milk, vanilla, and ¼ cup pistachio paste in a saucepan on low heat and bring to a boil.
3. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, almond extract and cornstarch until smooth and creamy.
4. Remove vanilla bean from milk mixture if using. While mixing vigorously, gradually add the half the milk mixture to the eggs mixture.
5. Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk. Whisk over low heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
6. Turn off heat and whisk in the butter so that filling becomes smooth and shiny. Immediately transfer to a bowl and cover the surface of the filling with plastic wrap to prevent the filling from forming a skin on the top.
7. Allow to cool completely before using. Pipe or spoon filling into prepared crust.
1. Allow sliced strawberries to marinate in the lemon juice and strawberry extract for at least 30 minutes before using.
2. Arrange strawberries on top of the filling, leaving the juice that collects in the bag or bowl from marinating.
3. Sprinkle chopped pistachios on the strawberries.
4. Serve immediately.