2 cups cream
1 cup whole milk
1 tbsp. Cook’s Choice Pure Vanilla Extract
5 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips, coarsely chopped
½ cup salted caramel
1. In a medium saucepan over low heat, heat cream and milk. Bring to a simmer.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, vanilla extract, and sugar.
3. While vigorously whisking, pour hot cream mixture gradually into the egg mixture. Be sure to continue whisking and gradually add hot milk to avoid causing the egg mixture to scramble.
4. Return the custard to the saucepan and heat over low heat and continuously whisk for approximately 5 minutes or until mixture is frothy.
5. Strain custard through a medium sieve into a bowl.
6. Allow mixture to cool in either an ice bath (preferred) or in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Whisking occasionally, especially if using ice bath.
7. Pour the cooled custard mix into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions to freeze and churn until mixture is at a milkshake consistency.
8. Add chocolate chips to half frozen ice cream and continue freezing and churning until smooth, frozen and creamy.
9. Transfer ice cream to a freezer container and quickly marble in the salted caramel and then transfer to freezer immediately. Freeze at least 2 hours.