Topping and Filling
- 2 pints fresh strawberries (hulled and sliced, or use as much as desired)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- sweetened whipped cream (use any amount desired for middle and top of the cake)
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (no substitutions)
- 1 cup sugar (for a sweeter cake use more sugar)
- 4 large eggs (MUST be room temperature)
- 1/4 cup luke-warm milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (or use strawberry extract)
- 2 teaspoons Cook’s Choice Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Wash and remove the stems from each berry then slice.
- Place the sliced berries into a glass bowl, add in 3/4 – 1 cup sugar (the more sugar the better) toss with a spoon until well coated (the sugar will dissolve when chilled). Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to 6 hours.
- Generously grease two 8 – inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed cream together the butter and sugar until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add in eggs and extracts beat on medium speed for 4-5 minutes or until no sugar granules remain in the mixture. Add in milk; mix until combined.
- In a small bowl mix the flour with baking powder and add to the creamed mixture; beat until combined.
- Divide and spread the batter between the two prepared baking pans (batter will be thick!).
- Set oven to 350°F (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Bake for about 22 minutes or until cakes test done (do not over bake cakes).
- Cool the cakes slightly in pan then invert each cake onto a plate to cool completely.
- Place HALF of the strawberries with a little juice over the top of one cake, then dollop HALF of the whipped cream.
- Place the other cake on top, then strawberries and top with remaining whipped cream.